How to Choose a Great Boomerang for Kids!
There are lots of different types of boomerangs for kids, from soft foam boomerangs for small children, to small, plastic boomerangs which are easy to return. For older kids there are some more advanced models which also return well without needing a lot of arm strength. Well here are some great tips to help you choose!
1) Probably the first step is to decide who it’s for. Is it for a small child or a teenager? How strong is their throwing arm? Are they right handed or left handed?
If it’s for a child 5-10 years old you will probably want to get a lightboomerang made from a soft plastic or foam. You want it to be safe and easy to throw. A good boomerang for that age would be generally smaller, lighter and softer than other options. Some options for very small children include the “Shark Rang” and our "Indoor Boomerangs". We have a number of safe, foam boomerangs for small kids.
2) A good outdoor use boomerang for small children often will use more than 2 wings to make it easier to get a full return. The more wings, the easier it is to return. Small kids need light boomerangs and lots of airfoil strength!
3) There are some plastic models which also are very nice for small children, as long as they are real boomerangs and not just boomerang shaped.
4) For children from 10 to 18 you may want to choose a more advanced model like these. The Blue Angel is hand crafted in Australia and just the right size for kids 10-13. The Bumblebee is another great choice with the 4 airfoils making it extremely easy to return. One of our personal favorites is the Pink Flamingo, which works great and is a lot of fun. The Ranier is an easy to throw boomerang for kids 15-17 or so. These are all easy returning boomerangs.
5) What else should you look for? Well check out the airfoils of the wings. If they look like airplane wings you are probably moving in the right direction. There are lots of “souvenir” boomerangs with great looking art shaped in a V but are they a real boomerang or a stick? You need to look at the airfoils on the wings. Real boomerang wings are like airplane wings. Look closely at what constitutes a good airfoil.
6) A big part of throwing boomerangs is learning how to. It really helps to have a both good video instructions and a good, illustrated throwing instructions.
7) See you around!