"Manu" does it again! Last weekend he set a new world record for the Fast Catch event at 5 throws and catches of at least 20 meters diameter in 14.07 seconds, surpassing Adam Ruhf's 21 year old record. Manu is now the current record holder in 4 major boomerang competition events. For more on this story see Fast Catch Boomerang World Record holder!
In case you haven't noticed we at Boomerangs.com LOVE boomerangs and have been collecting them for many years now. Lots of people "collect" boomerangs as a hobby or investment. Some boomerangs have sold for well over $1000 and it is not unusual at all for classic boomerangs to be sold for over $200. Competitors want the very best equipment in their bag. Some boomerangs have historic value and some are examples of technological innovations. Some boomerang crafters are just unique in their abilities to make the finest boomerangs in the world and we stand...
How to Choose a Great Boomerang for Kids!
There are lots of different types of boomerangs for kids, from soft foam boomerangs for small children, to small, plastic boomerangs which are easy to return. For older kids there are some more advanced models which also return well without needing a lot of arm strength. Well here are some great tips to help you choose!
1) Probably the first step is to decide who it’s for. Is it for a small child or a teenager? How strong is their throwing arm? Are they right handed or left handed?
If it’s for a child 5-10 years old you will probably want to get a light boomerang made from a soft plastic or foam. You want it to be safe and easy to throw. A good boomerang for that age would be generally smaller, lighter and softer than other options. Some options for very small children include this foam boomerang called the “funfly” which is even great for indoor use
2) A good outdoor use boomerang for small children often will use more than 2 wings to make it easier to get a full return. The more wings, the easier it is to return.
3) There are some plastic models which also are very nice for small children, as long as they are real boomerangs and not just boomerang shaped.
4) For children from 10 to 18 you may want to choose a more advanced model like these. The Blue Angel is hand crafted in Australia and just the right size for kids 10-13. The Bumblebee is another great choice with the 4 airfoils making it extremely easy to return. One of my personal favorites is the Pink Flamingo, which works great and is a lot of fun. The Ranier is an easy to throw boomerang for kids 15-17 or so. These are all easy returning boomerangs.
5) What else should you look for? Well check out the airfoils of the wings. If they look like airplane wings you are probably moving in the right direction. There are lots of “souvenir” boomerangs with great looking art shaped in a V but are they a real boomerang or a stick? You need to look at the airfoils on the wings. Real boomerang wings are like airplane wings. Look closely at what constitutes a good airfoil.
6) A big part of throwing boomerangs is learning how to. It really helps to have a both good video instructions and a good, illustrated how to booklet.
7) See you around!